Sunday 15 September 2013

Wine deprivation...

Ok, if you really can't live without your glass of wine every evening, then don't come to Jakarta. Unless of course, you are coming to work in a job with a massive salary and you really will not know what to do with your money every month. In which case, you won't mind spending €40 - €50 on a bottle of wine that would probably cost you a quarter of that back home. Being a teacher, I don't really have that option. No big salary equals no frequent purchasing of wine. What can I say? It SUCKS. I thought I could be one of those 'oh I don't need a glass of wine in the evening to relax me' types. However after two and a half months (only!) in Jakarta, I realise I was wrong. I am one of those 'I need a BOTTLE of wine in the evening to relax me' types. I miss wine. We could buy bottles of the stuff in Dublin for €7. Good, decent wine. Not possible here. Not ever! But yesterday, I had a moment of weakness and I caved in. It wasn't planned. We were at Bali Deli in Blok M and they were having 'specials' on the wine. I use specials here in the very loose sense because let's face it, if the prices they were offering here were called specials in Ireland there would be a riot! I bought one bottle for the grand sum of Rp. 199,000 which is equivalent to about €13. So not bad. I convince myself I am getting a bargain. I swear I carried the plastic bottle from the check out to motorbike to apartment like it was a crystal vase. I bordered on the neurotic. It was scary. Anytime the motorbike hit a pothole, I exclaimed 'protect the wine'. Yes, my friends, this is what two and a half months in Jakarta without wine does to someone. Frightening! Mind you, if you had to face the streets of Jakarta with such a treasured purchase you might find yourself doing the same. I hope Bali Deli has a few more 'specials' over the coming weeks!

No comments:

Post a Comment