Monday 2 September 2013

Pasar Mayestik, Jl. Tebah

Ok, so finally I managed to walk my feet in the direction of somewhere that has nothing to do with food. This place is a crafters dream come true. The shop is called Toko Maju and it sells every kind of button and ribbon that you might ever want. It is overflowing with crafting goodies one might say and I think you need to walk into this shop with a good sense of what you want otherwise you will be completely overwhelmed. Toko Maju is located in Pasar Mayestik which is well known for selling fabric but you can also find shops selling a whole array of other bits and bobs. I'm going to a wedding in Bali in October (yippee!) and have been asked to be a bridesmaid so I needed to buy some fabric for the dress. I was not disappointed when I stumbled into the first shop called Mumbay Tekstil. The selection of fabric on offer was huge and there were signs hanging everywhere that said 'fixed price' which I love...I'm not the greatest bargainer and find fixed price very comforting. The salesman assisting me was extremely helpful and brought me around the shop showing me several different fabrics that might be suitable for what I wanted. I eventually settled on this beautiful silvery grey silk that shimmers with tones of lilac when it moves in the light. The fabric was Rp. 35,000 a metre - ridiculously cheap in my opinion! I managed to get the same silk in black for a contrast on the dress and some double chiffon for the lining. Total bill was Rp. 110,000! What a steal! Now I'm searching for a tailor that can copy a dress I already have and I'm hoping that the price will be reasonable enough that I will get away paying a lot less than the dresses in Grand Indonesia Mall that I looked at which were retailing at Rp. 1 million and above! Outrageous! In Toko Maju I found a pretty black button that will look perfect on the dress and bought six. They cost Rp. 3,000 each.
Overall I was extremely pleased with my purchases and thoroughly enjoyed shopping at Mayestik, even though it was a Saturday it wasn't ridiculously busy. At this rate I can see myself going back for more fabric and making copies of a few items of clothing that I love. Fingers crossed for a good tailor...



No comments:

Post a Comment