Tuesday 24 September 2013

The best bananas in town...

There are bananas and then there are bananas, these are the latter... Let me introduce you to what are quite possibly the perfect baking bananas. In Indonesia when you go to the supermarket there are a range of bananas to choose from ranging in size, shape and colour. It was only here that I first learnt that the banana indeed was as varied as the apple. So it was that I happened to stumble across pisang Ambon or as you might translate into English - Ambon banana. Ambon is a place in Indonesia so I'm guessing that these wonderful bananas might hail from there. Nevertheless let me talk a little about why I have bestowed upon them such a prestigious title. I wanted to make banana bread and per chance picked up these bananas and brought them home to do the job. What resulted was quite possibly the best banana bread I have ever baked. First of all when you mash up these bananas they turn very quickly into a soft purée. Once added to your batter and deposited in the oven they release such a delicious aroma that one instantly starts to salivate. This aroma continues once the bread is removed. Then comes the best part...cutting into the bread. You find the most dark golden colour inside, the bread is full of speckles and when you taste it, well the rich flavour of the banana just overwhelms you as when cooked this banana almost takes on a honey like flavour to it as well. So, my friends, fear not if you think that you can't bake a cake because with a bunch of these you really can do no wrong...






No comments:

Post a Comment