Thursday 5 September 2013

Colette & Lola revisited...for more cakes and dreams

So, I said I would be back and back I went. It was a friends birthday and they decided they absolutely must have cake from Colette & Lola on their special day. This of course gave me the opportunity to do some more cake tasting. This visit, it was Rainbow Cake and A Salty Pimp. The rainbow cake was so so. Let's face it, with this cake you are purely selecting it based on its appearance. You WANT it to look pretty. It tasted like vanilla sponge and the four lumps of different coloured sponge was not the most attractive decoration on top. I would have expected something a little more creative to really put the wow factor in the appearance. At this point I am rather tired of rainbow cake. I first made it at home in the form of a cupcake about 3 years ago when it was very rare to find rainbow cake in any cake shop. I remember the delight of friends when they first bit into it and saw the rainbow, they were mesmerised and so impressed. Now it seems like rainbow cake is everywhere you turn and the wonder of it has been lost. I wouldn't order this again.
Let's move on to the second cake...it's called 'A Salty Pimp' and the name itself is a delight. However as soon as I spied it in the cake cabinet I knew I had to have it. All that deliciousness inside hidden by deliciousness on top! I could see cream, caramel, chocolate, puffs...yum! When it was brought to the table I couldn't wait to dive into it. I wasn't disappointed! The cake was pure delight. The inside was a soft creamy caramel mousse with a sweet short crust pastry on the bottom. However, my only complaint was the base was again very hard when it came out of the fridge and took some Arnold Schwarzenegger like actions to break into! The topping was dreamy, the puffs were lovely and light and just kind of melted on the tongue leaving you with a taste of the chocolate and almonds and the cream was not overly sweet with the caramel drizzle. This could quite possible be my new favourite.
This visit I also decided to try some coffee - for post cake enjoyment, of course. However, I was a little disappointed as I ordered an iced cafe latte and was brought a hot one. When I reminded staff of my order I think they just poured it into a different cup and added ice. The ice of course proceeded to melt quickly as the drink was slightly warm when I got it with the ice almost melted. I could hardly taste any coffee, the colour of the latte was milky and the melted ice made it in all, a bit of a watery milky mess. When I drink iced coffee, even though it's iced, I still want it to taste like coffee. I did however agree wholeheartedly with the comment on the side of the cup!



No comments:

Post a Comment