Thursday 22 August 2013

Waroeng Waluma, Kebayoran Baru

I love it when you stumble upon a place and it completely takes you by surprise. I had passed this warung a few times and it looked just like a regular middle range place to eat. Its not particularly inviting from the outside or even all that noticeable. However, due to its proximity to work I thought it was about time to have a closer look. 
I was pleasantly surprised on entry with the simple decor consisting of mismatched wooden furniture and vintage suitcases. The walls were dotted with amusing signs and there were some blank interestingly framed blackboards...they do need to write something up there - either specials for the day or some quirky proverbs!
The real surprise came when I walked to the back and came into a outdoor area that was filled with greenery and rays of sunlight. The whole vibe here reminded me of being in restaurants in Bali. 
I ordered a standard favourite of mine - mee goreng or fried noodles. I was very pleased when they took my order that they asked how spicy I would like the food as well as how I would like my egg done. When the noodles came the portion was very generous and the noodles were good and extremely satisfying. They were also good value priced at Rp. 30,000. A further surprise came when I flicked to the 'cocktails' section of the menu and saw the prices... Rp. 45,000 for a mojito! Really? Anyone living here knows that alcoholic beverages generally cost an arm and a leg and then maybe even your other leg, so any place offering reasonably priced drinks is worth making a second home. As I had to return to work, I could not partake today in any of the drinks but I will be back for some after work drinks very soon. The staff also informed us that the restaurant also has live music on Friday and Saturday nights from 9pm onwards which will certainly add even more to the overall ambiance of the place. If you are in the Kebayoran Baru area, this place is definitely worth a visit!




No comments:

Post a Comment