Friday 30 August 2013

Canteen at Aksara, Pacific Place

Ok, so I know there seems to be an emerging pattern here...that all my things to do in Jakarta revolve around food. Honestly, that's pretty much the reality here. I think most people spend their free time hanging out in shopping malls and either shopping, eating or having coffee and cake. Believe me, you just don't want to be spending a huge amount of time in the outdoors here. Especially at the moment when it seems to be extra hot.
Anyway, today I am able to bring you something a little extra with the food - books! Yes, one of my favourite past times is ambling around bookshops, perusing the titles, reading the backs and seeing what other trinkets might be on offer. Aksara doesn't disappoint. Along with the books it has a beautiful range of trinkets on offer from vintage inspired wrapping paper to photo frames. You could easily pass an hour or more here just taking everything in. I like to take my time in bookshops so I could easily spend longer. Then of course with all that time spent perusing and ambling you find you have built up an appetite. What do you know, they have an on-site cafe for you to rest your feet and fill your tummy! The cafe is called Canteen and the seats are placed in the front of the bookshop. It's a great spot for people watching as there is a steady stream of people passing by. The menu has a wide range of fare with pizzas, pasta and meat dishes. However, on ordering we were informed that a number of items weren't available. I never find this a good start. I ordered chicken cordon bleu and was pleasantly surprised when it came. The chicken was a decent portion coated in breadcrumbs as was very generously stuffed with cheese and ham. It was placed on a salad and there was a wonderful mound of mashed potatoes served with a rich mushroom gravy. It was delicious and I polished off the lot. Not a single drop left. For dessert, there was only one that was screaming out my name - the chocolate fondant, otherwise known as a chocolate lava cake. This was outrageously delicious! Yes outrageously! The chocolate used was of a good quality because I could taste the richness. When I put my spoon into it, the soft liquid spilled out in all it's glory. The lovely caramelised sugar fan had a nice burnt sweetness to it and it was brought together nicely by the toffee sauce and nuts. I'm coming back just for another one of these...and for some perusing and ambling too, of course!





1 comment:

  1. Canteen Pacific Place memang enak !! bagi yang butuh informasi tentang Canteen Pacific Place ini kamu bisa baca disini http://goo.gl/BnLdJE

    ReplyDelete