Monday 19 August 2013

The bountiful Bali Deli...

So excited...Bali Deli has just reopened in Jakarta. So excited because it is Bali Deli - which used to be one of my most favourite places to go for coffee and cake in Bali. I had an ongoing love affair with their lamington square that meant I just had to keep coming back for more. I especially enjoyed sitting in the outdoor garden at the back of the restaurant. So, you can imagine my joy when passing through Blok M, I saw a large banner dangling next to the Pasaraya sign saying that there was a branch of the very same shop now housed inside the building. Wasting no time, I stopped for a visit. The supermarket is located in the basement and to be honest, this doesn't bother me at all now because pretty much everything that is anything is located in a mall here. The interiors were lovely with wooden feature walls and tiled floors. I must admit that I am a sucker for supermarkets. I could quite happily spend hours perusing the aisles and digging out all the hidden treasures that line the shelves. I love to cook and eat and so shelf upon shelf of imported delights can hold my attention span for hours! The price, however, does not hold my attention span quite so intensely and the only downside about being in supermarkets in Jakarta is that items that I would be able to purchase rather reasonably in other parts of the world cost a small fortune here. I'm talking in particular here, about cheese and chocolate. Small fortune. No kidding. Anyway, back to Bali Deli and I am happy to report that shelves are very well stocked and with many delights I remember from Bali. There is a decent cheese and butcher section too. The fruit and vegetables are displayed on what look like stalls and it gives a nice outdoor market feel to the supermarket. Surprisingly, when comparing prices, there were many items for sale that were priced cheaper than other popular supermarket chains here. This is excellent news for the supermarket junky in me!
Needless to say, I held my breath walking into the bakery waiting to see if they had decided to share their delightful Lamingtons with the population of Jakarta. Of course, they had and one was ordered straight away and accompanied by a cappuccino from the cafe. The menu at the cafe has a wide variety of dishes on offer and I definitely want to go back to try a few especially as prices are very reasonable.
I will definitely be getting a regular dose of Bali Deli and looking forward to trawling for treasures on its many shelves...


No comments:

Post a Comment