Sunday 11 August 2013

Waroeng Kita, Plaza Senayan

Absolutely love eating at this restaurant. I've been more than a few times and every time I have been served decent quality, tasty food. The menu consists of traditional Betawi dishes. Betawi, for those who wish to know and according to Wikipedia are...


...the descendants of the people living around Batavia (the colonial name for Jakarta) from around the 17th century.[1] The Betawis are mostly descended from various Southeast Asian ethnic groups such as MalaySundaneseJavanese,BalineseMinangBugisMakassarAmbonese, mixed with foreign ethnic groups such as PortugueseDutchArabChinese and Indian brought to or attracted to Batavia to meet labour needs, including people from various parts of Indonesia. They have a culture and language distinct from the surrounding Sundanese andJavanese. The Betawis are known for their music, traditions and food as well as being overtly Islamic, egalitarian, their short temper, directness and their openness to others.

Their cuisine is truly delightful featuring such well known dishes as karedok, ketoprak, soto betawi, nasi bogana and many others. The dishes are full of flavour and never fail to satisfy. What I particularly like about this restaurant is that they ask you when you plae your order if you want the food spicy or not. This ensures no surprise chilli bombing of the tastebuds and really enables you to have mouthful after mouthful of tasty local delights. So far, I have tried both the karedok and ketoprak ad both have been very satisfying. The peanut sauce was delicious and the vegetables in the karedok were crisp and fresh. I've also had the mie goreng jawa which was delicious. My only complaint being I wanted a bigger serving! The soto ayam was very comforting with its steaming broth and decent helping of chicken. Unfortunately my ability to take photos of the food was hindered by my greediness to gobble down what was placed in front of me. Shame on me! However to finish up the meal I particularly enjoy a pot of teh poci which is served with sugar crystals and in a traditional earthenware teapot. Lunch or dinner at this restaurant is a must, with it's reasonable prices and beautiful wooden furnishings. Just try not to stuff yourself with krupuk heaped in the basket on the table. Believe me, one packet is never enough!






No comments:

Post a Comment