Sunday 18 May 2014

Sop buntut at Dapur Ibu, Ciputra World

So recently I've been hanging out at Ciputra World Shopping Mall because I happen to have decided that 5 star cinema is the only way to go and the one at Ciputra also happens to be the cheapest. So yesterday on the way to watch a movie I wanted to have some lunch first. On the same floor as the cinema you will find Food Avenue, which is basically a food court featuring lots of choices of local food and a general large sitting area. After a quick walk around I settled on Dapur Ibu because they speciality was sop buntut or oxtail soup. Sop buntut is an Indonesian dish that contains beef and vegetables in a clear broth. It is served with rice and crackers and of course a good helping of chilli and sweet soy sauce. The other speciality at this stall is es sirkel which is a combination of coconut water and soursop juice. Once the order had been put in, I took a seat and waited to be impressed. The drink came first and at Rp. 30,000 was a good buy. Soursop can taste quite sour (as the name would suggest) and leave a strange aftertaste in your mouth. However, the combination with the coconut water made it refreshingly good with a smooth sweet taste. There were nice slices of fresh coconut in there too.
Then came the soup. It was steaming hot in the pot. We had chosen the 'lekker' option of the soup which promised to have very soft meat. The meat was definitely soft however I felt that there was not enough. At a cost of Rp. 86,000 for the soup I was expecting nice large juicy succulent pieces of meat. What I received were big bones with bra of meat around the outside. The broth was good, full of flavour (or MSG, maybe?) I'm always doubtful when something tastes THAT good in Indonesia. Generally it means that unhealthy spoonfuls of MSG or aji-no-moto or devil's powder (as I call it) have been added to enhance the food. Sop buntut is a favourite of mine and I have tried it in many places across Indonesia. Although this might not be my favourite, it was certainly satisfying and fulfilling. 






No comments:

Post a Comment