Friday 30 May 2014

Go nutty...

...no not from living in Jakarta! Mind you we all must be a little nutty to be doing that. What I mean by 'go nutty' is, make your own nut milk, of course. Yes, the truth is that as I read more and more about processed and packaged food I find myself looking for alternatives to work with in my diet. Dairy is pretty much out for me these days, as is soy. So what does one put on their cereal then? Ahhhh, enter nut milk. Very simply created at home with minimal tools and yet what you have at the end is a delicious, creamy, preservative free drink that also happens to be good for you. Which brings me to this post, dealing with locating tools. Yes, all you lucky people who live somewhere that has amazing supermarkets that stock everything that you could ever need...don't come to Jakarta! If you do, be prepared to search tirelessly for things that in a previous life you took for granted. In my mission to make my own nut milk, I needed to find a nut milk bag. It's great for the final part of the process where you squeeze all that great goodness out of the nuts.
I searched online and after a few attempts was directed to Rawsome Creations. It's a lovely website from the US selling beautifully made nut milk bags crafted in Bali. Ah-ha, I thought. Surely if the bags are made in Bali, which is just a mere hop, skip and jump from Jakarta, they might be able to send them here directly rather than ordering via the US. I contacted the owner of the site, Brenda Hinton and asked her. She was extremely helpful and gave me the contact details and names of people and places that might be able to sell me one of the nut milk bag here in Indonesia. I contacted Alchemy Cafe in Ubud and after a couple of emails and a bank transfer, lo and behold, my nut milk bag arrived today. I'm very excited. I'm so looking forward to making hazelnut and almond milk, free from the many nasty things that lots of companies sneak in there.
Many thanks to Rawsome Creations for their great bag and I really admire the work they are doing with the community in Bali. I hope anyone else considering that they simply must have a nut milk bag in their possession will pop over to their website and order from them as a portion of the proceeds go to helping local community projects in Bali.


No comments:

Post a Comment