Tuesday 29 July 2014

Pho 24 at Lotte Shopping Avenue

Vietnamese cuisine is not always easy to find in many cities. I became quite partial to this particular cuisine when I was living in Laos. Not only do these two countries share a border but they also share many similar types of dishes. I loved the food in Laos, from the young papaya salad to the raw spring rolls and big steaming bowls of noodles, it was always a delight to experience local food. So, when I can across Pho 24, I figured I should definitely give it a try and see if it brought back memories of my year in Laos. The restaurant itself is very nicely decorated to create a garden theme and there is a huge tree in the middle and lots of vines hanging down the walls. The tables and chairs are reminiscent of garden cane furniture and set a very relaxed feeling to the place.
The menu at Pho 24 is not huge, the main focus being the noodles which are offered with different types of meats. There are some starters and then a selection of drinks. I wanted to taste the homemade ice tea. It was delicious and refreshing and a pleasant change to the regular stuff you are served here which tastes just like it came out of a packet mix. We opted for the raw spring rolls for starters, much healthier than their fried cousins, and delicious when served with a good dipping sauce. These were stuffed with a lot of noodles and I must admit that I would have liked some more veggies and seafood in there. The dipping sauce, however, was good and had a good tangy taste to it. 
Then came my bowl of noodles, with a small plate of condiments. I chose the noodles with thinly sliced beef. The beef was lovely with a nice pink centre and quite tender and there was a decent helping of noodles in there. I was able to spice it up to my liking using my condiments and the different sauces on the table. Sometimes a big bowl of steaming noodles is the perfect warm, comforting meal and just what you need. Finally, I wanted the Vietnamese drip coffee. I loved the Lao coffee and used to drink a lot of it when I lived there. It is always served with condensed milk which although ridiculously unhealthy gives the coffee this delicious creamy sweetness that is really hard to replicate with regular milk and sugar. The coffee here recaptured that memory perfectly. It was delicious, strong and had the condensed milk on the bottom so that once you stirred it all up it became that beautiful milky brown colour (which always reminds me of the colour of the Mekong River!) If you haven't experienced Vietnamese cuisine it really is time you have it a try!


Interior
Interior
Homemade ice tea
Raw spring rolls
Beef noodles
Condiments
Vietnamese drip coffee

No comments:

Post a Comment