Saturday 26 April 2014

Waroeng Solo at Joglo at Kemang

I think I have just found my favourite new place to chill out and forget I am in Jakarta. As you enter the gates at Joglo at Kemang, you instantly feel transported to a step back in time that is old Java. It is a huge compound with a number of old Javanese wooden buildings known as joglo. In one of the buildings you will find Waroeng Solo and as you enter the warung you will be greeted by the sweet melodious sounds of a traditional Javanese singer serenading you with his version of classic favourites as well as traditional Javanese songs. The place is simple and this adds to it's charm. There are wooden benches situated alongside old sewing machine tables and vintage pictures on the walls. The menu offers traditional food from Solo and there is a good variety to choose from. We went with spring rolls, chicken satay, kangkung, iga bakar and selad solo. I was happy with all the food we ordered. Each dish was delicious. My favourites were the chicken satay which were generous chunks of meat on the skewer smothered in a peanut gravy. It was rich and fulfilling and full of flavour. My other favourite was the iga bakar which were rid off the bone barbecued to perfection until the meat was soft and succulent. We finished up with some es campur, a traditional Indonesian drink/dessert with shaved ice, fruit, jelly and condensed milk. It's the perfect cold refreshment on a hot day like today. There are a number of other joglo in the compound which I believe are used for weddings and I also spied a Joglo beer which looked like the most peaceful place for an evening drink. I will definitely be coming back here for another visit to try some more delights from the menu, soak up the laid back atmosphere and perhaps find my way to where I can have a nice cool beer. 

Entrance to Waroeng Solo
View of compound from car park
Inside Waroeng Solo
Outdoor seating
Looking up to Joglo Beer
Selad Solo
Chicken satay
Kangkung
Es campur 
One of the other Joglo in the compound

1 comment:

  1. Hello,
    This post made me very hungry. I can definitely see why someone would want to live in Jakarta. Would you ever consider reviewing Indonesian language books? As you actually live in Indonesia, you can offer a very unique perspective to your readers. My company, Tuttle Publishing makes some of the most popular Indonesian language learning books and I'd love to send you one or more (for free of course) to take a look at. Book reviews make for great posts :)

    Please let me know what you think. Here's our books:
    http://www.tuttlepublishing.com/language-books/indonesian

    Best,
    Mike
    mpage@tuttlepublishing.com

    ReplyDelete