Wednesday 29 October 2014

Tjap Toean at FX Mall

I love Peranakan cuisine and the food served at Tjap Toean, I would say, is mildly influenced by Peranakan-style cooking. The interior is very quaint and traditional with lots of cute touches like old school bicycle horns on the tables to get waiters attention to menus made to look like old newspapers. I do like attention to detail and efforts to create a whole experience in restaurants. When I looked at the menu my eyes immediately fell to the I Fu Mie, which are crispy noodles topped with seafood and vegetables. It was one of my favourite dishes to eat when I lived in Singapore so I was really excited to see it again. Then my eye continued to the wide selection of toast and I couldn't resist the toast with sunny side up egg and chilli sauce. 
Food came out relatively quickly. The I Fu Mie was good. I would have liked the noodles a tad more crispy so I could really get that crunch when I took the first few bites. However, there were generous helpings of seafood and veggies and a good sauce bringing it all together.
The sunny side up egg toast was delicious. Thick, chunky toast engulfing a fried egg and a generous smearing of chilli sauce. So very good.
Nothing like an iced teh tarik to wash everything down and I must admit I came away feeling very satisfied. 
I will definitely head back here again to try out some of the other varieties of toast, have A Fuk (sorry, couldn't resist!) and honk a horn....don't you think you should too?

Old school menus...

'Can I have A Fuk, please?' Must be one that doesn't get ordered too often!

I Fu Mie, crispy seafood noodles

Sunny side up egg toast

No comments:

Post a Comment